Monday, June 3, 2013

Hope Was With Me But I Didn´t Recognize It


Even if where you are today seems hopeless, it is working in you. You won't recognize it right now but one day, when you look back, you will see it was within you all along. Learn to recognize it and carry it with you. Then, learn how to give it away.
"... suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame... " Romans 5:3-5
In my early twenties, life felt hopeless. I thank God that I've been spared physical harm but danger made me fearful. Members of my family were victims of a brutal crime involving assault with weapons. I went through a divorce. I lived in public housing. I didn't have resources or support. What I didn't recognize was that all this was perseverance. The definition of perseverance is "A steady course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties (dictionary.reference.com).
During difficult circumstances, we must carry on in order to survive. There may be frustration but we work through it. What I did believe during that period was that there had to be something better out there somewhere and I was determined to find it.
The day I got fired as a kindergarten aide, vowed to myself to go to school and take charge of my life. Perseverance had developed character. Going to school was still a process and I'm sure I provided entertainment for my professors. I was on a mission of self discovery and loved to talk.
The day came when I graduated from college. I had a sense of hope. I got a good job that I was passionate about. From my experiences, I discovered that I didn't have to be ashamed of feel unworthy of my place in this world. I had something to offer. There were others still struggling. I began encouraging men at a rescue mission by holding services for four years. I mentored a young man from Sudan. I held sessions with women in a detention center.
I began sharing hope by recording a CD, singing, speaking and writing. My kids are now adults and beginning their own journey of life. They won't be alone. I will lift them up and encourage them.
Whatever you are going through today, know that you have within you the greatest resource available. Hope is free. Grow from it and share it with others.
Author, Laura Schroeder enjoys sharing her life experiences and encouraging others. If her articles have been helpful, you may contact her at laura@lauramschroeder.com. Please make any comments family friendly.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7492973

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Believe I Can Fly